POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in isosurface using pigment function? : Re: Bug in isosurface using pigment function? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:12:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in isosurface using pigment function?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Nov 2000 04:29:54
Message: <3A1F8692.ECF21C45@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> A sor should be pretty easy, a lathe shouldn't be extremely difficult. A
> mesh may not be a huge problem either. Simple convex prisms also
> wouldn't be hard, but concave or self-intersecting prisms could be a
> bigger problem.

With linear splines this should be easy too, but the others would involve
some more complicated math that would probably be quite slow when not hard
coded.

> Basically the distance of the nearest point on the surface, with a
> negative sign if inside the object and a positive sign if outside.
> This is what my proximity pattern will eventually do.

proximity pattern is quite slow right now, but for linear spline
prisms/lathe/sor, i could think of a different algorithm dividing space
into segments where proximity only depends on a single plane, that would
use quite a lot of memory, but it would be fast.  Of course this would
also have some problems with concave shapes, but since the isosurface use
only needs good results near the actual surface, this is not that
problematic.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>